What’s fresh, light, easy, quick to throw together and extremely good for you? A salad, of course! But easy doesn’t have to mean you have to go easy on the flavour. We think a salad can be dynamite even if it does only take ten minutes to make. You just have to throw in a few special somethings, a little special sauce and a whole lotta love.
Before we get into the how-to of things, there are a few tips that you should keep in mind while making a salad:
- Dressing is everything. And we don’t mean what you’re wearing while you’re making your salad. We’re talking about what your salad is wearing. A good sauce/dressing makes for a good salad.
- Don’t put lettuce in everything. It doesn’t have fantastic nutritional value and is more of a filler than anything else. Substitute lettuce for cauliflower rice, leafy greens or even millet grains.
- Fruits and nuts are everything. Try and cover as many food groups as you can in your salad. Salads don’t mean just vegetables. Layer those flavours! Throw in some fruit, nuts, cheese, meat (if you eat meat) and all sorts of other goodness and watch your life change.
This easy peasy chickpea recipe is a great salad for any season and is filled with nutritional goodness. It also keeps really well so it’s a great make-ahead dish to have!
- 1/2fresh lemon
- 500gms of chickpeas, soaked overnight and boiled
- 1/4cup sliced red onion
- 2cups of chopped tomatoes
- 2cups of diced cucumber
- 1/2cup fresh parsley
- 3/4cup diced capsicum
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 2tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- salt & pepper
Cut avocado into cubes and place in bowl. Squeeze the juice from 1/2 lemon over the avocado and gently stir to combine. Add remaining salad ingredients and gently toss to combine. Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.
That’s it! It’s that easy! Try this recipe and let us know how your salad turned out.