You know what makes for the perfect treat on a lazy Sunday? A soufflé. Souffle is an egg based dessert that originated in France in the 18th century. Although there are many different kinds of souffles, chocolate soufflés are the most popular. It is a very simple baked dessert that mainly consists of melted chocolate, egg yolks and egg whites. So, today, we will show you how to make a delicious chocolate soufflé. Here are the ingredients you will need, to make this sensational dessert:
- 8 oz of semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 large egg yolks
- 4 whites of large eggs
- ¼ cup of caster sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of water
- Unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp of cream of tartar (optional)
To make the chocolate soufflé,
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your ramekin dishes by greasing them with the unsalted butter and that dusting them with caster sugar.
- Heat some water in a pan and bring to a boil. place a glass bowl over the pan and add the finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate, the vanilla extract and the water. Stir well until the chocolate is fully melted and the mixture is smooth. Now remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool for a good 20 minutes.
- Once the chocolate mixture is completely cool, stir in all three egg yolks. Set this base mixture aside
- In another large bowl, add the egg whites. With a hand mixer at medium high speed, start whipping the egg whites until the form soft peaks. Then gradually add the sugar while continuing to beat the eggs. Whip the egg whites till they form glossy peaks. Make sure to be very careful to not overbeat the eggs.
- Scoop half of the egg mixture and combine it well with the chocolate mixture. Then add the other half and combine. Again, make sure not to over mix the mixture.
- Put this mixture in your prepared ramekins. Make sure to not bring the mixture all the way to the top. Then smooth the top and place it in your preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes. It is important to not open the oven door for the first 25 minutes.
This dish is best eaten hot. You can dust powdered sugar or cocoa powder on the top of the soufflé to decorate it. Try out this recipe and let us know in the comments, how it turned out.