Picture this: You’re bored or taking a break and you walk over to your fridge. You open it to grab a snack but don’t find anything you like. 10 minutes later, you repeat this cycle again.
We’ve all been there. We know that food isn’t going to magically appear the second or third time around, but we do it anyway. But here’s what you CAN do. Clean out your fridge for better access to the food that is already there. On the occasion of Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day, Häcker Kitchens brings you tips for cleaning out your fridge expertly:
- It’s Clean Out Your Fridge Day, so step one should be to celebrate! Pick out everything that’s edible but nearing expiry from your fridge and plan your meals based on these foods. As an added bonus, you’ll already know what needs to be thrown out.
- Discard anything that has expired or gone stale. And pledge to buy only as much as you can consume the next time you’re on your next grocery run.
- Once your fridge is all but bare, bring out the rags, baking soda and white vinegar. No need to get any chemically laden products near your food. Baking soda works wonders for smelly surfaces, and for harsher stains, white wine vinegar has got your back. Clean everything, from shelves to drawers to the exteriors.
- Before replacing remaining food items, turn to baking soda again and place it on a baking tray in areas reserved for the smelliest foods so that your fridge isn’t plagued by odors you can’t exactly put your finger on.
- Place food items in a way where foods that tend to go bad faster are where you can see them clearly. Stock wisely in the future to avoid wastage.
- If any food items are prone to spillage due to badly designed take-out boxes, oily or sticky foods, make sure you clean them out before putting them in your fridge.
- Clean your shelves regularly so that you won’t have to do any heavy cleaning during your big clean-up session.
That’s it! You can now admire your handiwork, but not for too long though. Happy Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day!