Tomatoes are just as important as potatoes. As ridiculous as the previous sentence sounds, we often underestimate the amount of tomatoes we consume. We add it to our curries, our pastas, eat tomato concoctions with different dishes, make chutneys & pickles and more. Today, we’re here to introduce you to the most glorious form of tomatoes – the marinara sauce. Made with tomatoes, onions, garlic and seasonings, a good marinara can be added to many dishes and can be used as a dipping sauce as well.
You’ll need the following Ingredients for 2 cups of Marinara sauce:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large tomatoes or 5 small ones
- 1 onion
- 2-3 cloves of thinly sliced garlic (as per your taste)
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp dried chili flakes
- 1 tbsp oregano seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the tomatoes till their skin begins to peel. Peel the boiled tomatoes and blend until you have a smooth sauce.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Once heated, add the onions and garlic. Saute till the onions turn brown.
- Add the tomato paste to the saucepan along with your seasonings & ketchup. Lower the heat, give the sauce and good mix and let it simmer.
- Once the sauce thickens, take it off the heat. Your marinara sauce is ready! Eat hot or refrigerate. This sauce stays good in the fridge for upto 4 days.
Enjoy this recipe! Let us know if you have any suggestions on how this recipe could be made better.